A healthy and moreish seasonal snack to enjoy yourself, or to give as gifts to let your friends know you care about their health too.
- DF Dairy free
- GF Gluten free
- Ve Vegan
- VG Vegetarian
- S/S Sides/Snacks
- F Festive
- HH Heart-healthy
- Prep time 10 mins
- Cook Time 15 mins
- Serves 1-2
- Difficulty easy
- Preheat oven to 170°C (150°C fan-forced).
- Put oil, maple syrup, tamari, rosemary, turmeric and cumin in a large bowl, stir to combine. Add nuts and seeds, mix well to coat.
- Spread mixture on a tray lined with baking paper. Cook for 10 minutes, then remove from oven and toss mixture to ensure they are coated well with the spice mix. Return to oven and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Leave to cool on baking tray, stirring occasionally.
- Store in glass jar (for up to 2 weeks), or package in a glass jar and decorate with fresh rosemary and festive ribbon.
By Jean Hailes naturopath and herbalist Sandra Villella
Eating a handful of nuts daily is associated with a lower risk of mortality (dying) from all-cause, cardiovascular disease and cancer, even with as little as one serving per week.
Nuts provide some protein, good fats, and minerals such as calcium and magnesium. They also help us to stay full longer.
Usually I recommend raw nuts, but these roasted nuts offer a welcome wholefood treat amidst other alternatives.
The sweet and savoury combination of maple syrup and antioxidant-rich herbs (turmeric and rosemary), balanced with the saltiness of tamari, make this a very moreish snack.
Perfect as a gift for someone you care about and hope will be around a long time.