Give a gift of good health with this decadent mix of nuts, seeds and oats flavoured with maple syrup and cardamom.
- B Breakfast
- Ve Vegan
- S/S Sides/Snacks
- F Festive
- HH Heart-healthy
- GUT Gut-healthy
- Prep time 5 mins
- Cook Time 50 mins
- Serves 12-14 (generous ½ cup per serve)
- Difficulty easy
- Preheat oven to 160⁰C (140⁰C fan-forced). Put all dry ingredients in a large bowl, mix well. Add maple syrup and mix until dry ingredients are well coated (doesn't matter if they clump together).
- Spread mixture on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake in oven for 1 hour. Check after 30-40 minutes and turn the granola to cook evenly (you may need to reduce heat or cover loosely with foil if browning too much).
- Remove granola from oven. Allow it to cool completely before storing in airtight jar.
- Serve ideally with yoghurt and/or your preferred milk and fresh or stewed fruit for breakfast.
By Jean Hailes naturopath and herbalist Sandra Villella
This is a variation of my original granola recipe, where I have reduced the rolled oats and increased the seeds and nuts. I still like to have some rolled oats, as they are a low-GI (glycaemic index) grain and an excellent source of fibre, as well as beta-glucan, which can help to lower cholesterol.
I also use cardamom, which I like to freshly grind, to provide a fragrant and festive touch to the granola. Not everyone is a fan of this spice, so feel free to substitute with cinnamon.
Rich in nuts and seeds, this granola will help to keep you – or the lucky person you give it to – satisfied and ready to start your day. Which, especially this time of year, we can all use some help with. This is fuel for the festive season in a jar.