Vale David Healy
The Board, staff, clinicians, researchers and patients at Jean Hailes for Women's Health are deeply saddened by the passing of Professor David Healy.
Professor Healy was a Founding Board Member of Jean Hailes for Women's Health.
He carved out a distinguished career, graduating from Monash University in 1971 with a BMedSci (Hons), an MBBS (Hons) in 1973 and a PhD in 1979. Some of his career highlights include:
- Awarded a prestigious NHMRC Applied Health Science Fellow, Pregnancy Research Branch, NICHD National Institute of Health, Bethesda, Maryland USA 1982-1983
- First obstetrician and gynaecologist to be awarded a Wellcome Trust Senior Clinical Fellowship, Medical Research Centre, Prince Henry's Hospital and Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Monash University 1985-1989
- Founding Board Member, Jean Hailes for Women's Health 1992-
- Chairman and Professor, Monash University Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1995-
- President, Fertility Society of Australia 1995
- President, International Federation of Fertility Societies 2010-2013
Professor Healy's areas of interest included prolactin, inhibin biology in reproduction and ovarian cancer, antiprogesterones, infertility management (particularly IVF), endometriosis and fibroids, among other things.
Professor David Healy was an exceptional doctor who championed the reproductive rights of women. He was a visionary leader and a passionate believer in a woman's right to access and receive first class medical care and evidence-based information, as a way to help her make informed decisions around treatment options.
18 June 2012